Instructions for Completing the ASE Work Experience Form

You must have a myASE profile and ASE ID number to submit a work experience form. If you are new to ASE testing and have not created a personal profile, go to myASE to set up an account. An ASE ID number will be assigned upon completing the account set-up and can be viewed by logging in to myASE. Anyone who has ever registered or tested in the ASE professional certification program will already have an existing record. If you are unable to locate your account, contact ASE Customer Service for assistance at 800-390-6789 from 8AM to 5PM Eastern Monday through Friday, or send an email to

Notice to Employers: If assisting the candidate with submitting a work experience form, do not use the company account ASE ID number beginning with 9. The candidate’s personal ASE ID number must be entered on the work experience form.

To document your work experience, complete Sections 1 through 3. Provide the names and addresses of your current and previous employers, covering up to 3 years or more for Repair Technicians and at least 2 years for Service Consultants, Parts Specialists, and Collision Damage Estimators, and at least 4 to 6 years or more for high school and college automotive instructors.

If it is necessary to provide information for more than one previous employer to meet the minimum amount of experience required:
  1. click the Previous Workplaces box located in Section 4; and
  2. attach your additional previous employer information (e.g. Word document or scanned hand-written sheet).

Complete Sections 4 through 6. Click and check mark:
  1. the applicable Attachments box(s) [i.e. formal education documentation, I-CAR Platinum certificate, self-employment documentation, military documentation, Canadian documentation, previous workplaces information, other documentation];
  2. the experience detail boxes for which you have actual hands-on experience, or teaching experience where applicable; and
  3. the box to certify that the information provided on this Work Experience Form, as well as any attached documentation, is true and correct.
Click the Attach File(s) button to include your attachment(s) which should show in the Files uploaded box, then click the Submit button to send your Work Experience Form and attachment(s) to ASE for review and processing.

ASE Work Experience Requirements

To become ASE certified, you must pass an ASE test and have relevant hands-on work experience.

You can take most ASE tests even if you do not have the required work experience. You will receive a score report, but you will not earn certification or receive a certificate until you fulfill the related experience requirement.

To document your work experience, please complete the ASE Work Experience Form, attach applicable documentation, check the box in Section 6, and click the Submit button when you are ready to send your information to ASE for review and processing.

ASE reserves the right to verify all job history details and can deny certification to anyone who provides false or misleading work experience information.

ASE recognizes the following types of automotive service industry work experience:

Category Description Minimum amount of experience Required for these Tests
Repair Technician Hands-on experience maintaining, servicing, and/or repairing light-duty or heavy-duty motor vehicles. 1 year full-time (or part-time equivalent) G1
2 years full-time (or part-time equivalent) A1-A9, B2-B5, E1-E3, F1, H1-H8, MIL2-MIL8, S1-S7, T1-T8, and X1
3 years full-time (or part-time equivalent) L1, L2, L3, and L4
Service Consultant Hands-on experience as an automotive service writer/consultant or service manager. 2 years full-time (or part-time equivalent) C1
Parts Specialist Hands-on experience as a parts counterperson or managing a wholesale or retail parts store or in-house parts department. 2 years full-time (or part-time equivalent) P1, P2, and P4
Collision Damage Estimator Hands-on experience as an automotive collision damage estimator/adjuster. 2 years full-time (or part-time equivalent) B6

Repair Technicians who have 2 years of experience will also automatically receive credit for the 1-year requirement. Repair Technicians who have 3 or more years of experience will also automatically receive credit for the 1-year and 2-year requirements.

Work experience as a Repair Technician does not satisfy the separate experience requirement for Service Consultant, Parts Specialist, Collision Damage Estimator, or the High School and College Instructors alternative method described below.

Formal Education: You can substitute high school, trade school, or community college education for part of the Repair Technician work experience requirement, as shown below. This credit can be combined with additional hands-on work experience if needed to meet the 1, 2, and 3-year Repair Technician requirements.

Formal Education / Training Credit toward 1-year Repair Technician requirement Credit toward 2-year Repair Technician requirement Credit toward 3-year Repair Technician requirement
1) Complete any ASE-Accredited Program – Auto, M/H Truck or Collision-Refinish, including MLR, AST, MAST and all other current or grandfathered ASE standards 6 months 1 year 1 year
-or- 2) Complete an ASE-Accredited OEM-Sponsored Co-op Program 1 year 2 years 2 years
-or- 3) Pass 3 or more different ASE Entry-Level Certification Program Tests 6 months 1 year 1 year
-or- 4) All other training: 2 months of full-time training (or 200 program hours) equals 1 month credit Up to 6 months Up to 1 year Up to 1 year

  • These substitutes cannot be combined, and do not apply to the Service Consultant, Parts Specialist, or Collision Damage Estimator work experience categories.
  • The ASE Education Foundation evaluates and accredits Automobile, Medium/Heavy Duty Truck, and Collision Repair and Refinish training programs based on industry-established standards. To learn more and view the list of ASE-accredited programs, visit
  • To receive credit in categories 1) and 2) above, you must complete the training program in its entirety, and it must be ASE-accredited at the time you complete it.
  • Examples of OEM-sponsored co-op programs include GM ASEP, Ford ASSET, Toyota T-TEN, Honda PACT, Chrysler CAP, Mercedes-Benz DRIVE, and BMW ADP. You must participate in the co-op hands-on work experience portion of the program.
  • ASE Entry-Level Certification Program tests are not the same as the ASE professional certification tests. ASE Entry-Level certification tests are administered in schools. For more information, visit
  • For categories 1) and 2), attach a copy of your program completion certificate. For category 3), attach copies of your ASE Entry-Level certification test certificates. For category 4), attach an official transcript that clearly shows the hours or weeks of completed training and the graduation/completion date.

I-CAR Platinum Individuals: This satisfies the Repair Technician and/or Collision Damage Estimator 2-year requirements, corresponding to the roles in which you hold I-CAR Platinum status. Attach a copy of your current certificate.

Veterans and Active Military: Attach a DD Form 2586 (VMET), DD Form 214, or JST. A variety of military MOS's can qualify to meet the experience requirements, particularly if the equipment being repaired is powered by a diesel engine.

Canadian Technicians: A valid provincial automotive trade certificate is acceptable evidence of sufficient work experience to satisfy the Repair Technician 1-year and 2-year requirements. Attach a copy of your current provincial license.

Self-employment: You can receive credit for self-employment when you are the owner/operator of a licensed repair business working in the shop performing diagnosis and repairs. Repairs being performed in a home garage will not be accepted to fulfill the work experience requirements. Indicate the types of service you provide (Section 5) in your shop, how long you have been self-employed, and attach a copy of your current business license.

High School and College Instructors: Alternative method of meeting the work experience requirement: Full-time teaching as an instructor (not a teaching assistant) in a high school or post-secondary Auto, M/H Truck, or Collision-Refinish program for four academic years (or part-time equivalent), plus a minimum of 20 hours of technical update training in the last 12 months, satisfies the Repair Technician or Collision Damage Estimator 2-year requirement corresponding to the type of program in which you teach. Six years of qualified teaching (or part-time equivalent), plus a minimum of 20 hours of technical update training in the last 12 months, satisfies the Repair Technician 3-year requirement for L1, L2, L3, and L4. This option for meeting the ASE work experience requirements cannot be combined with, or partially satisfied by, traditional hands-on work experience or any of the Formal Education substitutions described above. A letter on school letterhead signed by your principal or dean that details your teaching experience and includes a list of your technical update training records must be attached to your work experience form. Check the “Other Documentation” box in the Attachments section on the Work Experience Form to upload those documents.

The fine print: ASE reserves the right to evaluate all substitution requests and to grant such credit as may be appropriate. Work experience other than that described above may also be credited toward fulfillment of the experience requirement where, in ASE’s judgment, the nature of the experience so warrants.

Questions? Call ASE Customer Service at 800-390-6789, from 8 AM to 5 PM Eastern, Monday through Friday, or send an email to with your full name, city, state, ASE ID (if known), and daytime phone number.